Genetic Counselor – Maternal Fetal Medicine
Elliot Hospital, Manchester, NH 03103
Responsible for counseling patients and families concerning genetic issues, including, but not limited to: maternal serum screening, family history concerns, ultrasound abnormalities, prenatal diagnostic testing procedures, infertility, and pregnancy exposure to drugs, alcohol, and medication. This individual will serve as a resource to patients and medical staff regarding genetic issues. The genetic counselor will work closely with patients during stressful times and provide support and education about sensitive issues.
- Counsels patients/families around genetic issues (Amniocentesis, Maternal, Serum Screening Program, Genetic Disorders, etc). This involves patient contact, explanation of procedures, probable outcome, all testing coordination, and follow up.
- Screens and interviews patients to evaluate medical/family information. Recommends and coordinates additional testing and referrals with referring providers, outside hospital facilities, and genetic testing laboratories.
- Performs record keeping, including chart preparation and records requests, maintenance of high-risk patient list and patient statistics, documentation of encounter (including chart notes, progress notes, and letters, and other required paperwork for genetic tests or procedures.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with patients, staff, and other referring providers.
- Provides education and consultation to referring providers as needed with concerns about scheduling, test follow-up, or general queries about non-scheduled patients.
- Actively updates knowledge of developments in the field and genetic community by reading appropriate professional literature, attending educational meetings, and making use of other available resources for continuing education.
- Serves as resource to patients, obstetrical care providers and other clinicians on genetic counseling issues.
- Interacts with Elliot Hospital Laboratory and other send-out laboratories.
- Works collaboratively with the perinatologist to report normal and abnormal results to patients and providers. This includes calling out results to patients who have not received genetic counseling when necessary.
- Coordinates and serves as primary supervisor for genetic counseling internships.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to set goals and to implement them.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Good communication skills especially in the areas of interpersonal skills, negotiation, sensitivity in counseling areas.
- Aptitude in basic sciences, especially in the area of genetics, as well as ability in the area of working in stressful situations within specific time frames while maintaining a calm, professional attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Education: Master’s Degree MS/MA with specialty in Genetics or Genetic Counseling required.
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the field of Genetic Counseling or at least one (1) year of directly related experience preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: American Board of Genetic Counseling Board Certification (or Board Eligible)
- Software/Hardware: MS Office
Elliot Health System (EHS), a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) entity, is the largest provider of comprehensive healthcare services in Southern New Hampshire. The cornerstone of EHS is Elliot Hospital, a 296- bed acute care facility with a Level II Trauma Center and the only dedicated Pediatric Emergency Department in Manchester. The mainstay of our organization is the Elliot Physician Network, which employs a collaborative and engaged team of primary care physicians and specialists. Our state-of-the-art outpatient practices, located throughout the Southern New Hampshire area, bring the most comprehensive care to patients and families where they work and live. With a fully integrated EMR, our clinicians enjoy the ability to provide continuity of care for our patients at every EHS location.
The Manchester, New Hampshire, area is a thriving metropolitan community, located within an hour’s drive of Boston, the seacoast, lakes, and White Mountains region of New Hampshire. Enjoy Four Season living, excellent school systems, a myriad of social and cultural events and venues and NO STATE INCOME or SALES TAX!
For more information and to apply, please visit:
For inquiries, please contact: Erin Kelley, Recruiter, Human Resources
All inquiries will remain confidential.
We are an equal opportunity employer embracing the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. We provide a welcoming and supportive environment for employees of all ethnic backgrounds, cultures, ages, lifestyles and physical abilities.